Friday 8 November 2013

Genre Conventions in Teaser Trailers

Now I have decided that I want my film to be from the Horror genre, I need to do some research on Horror teaser trailers. I am going to look at three existing teaser trailers for Horror films and analyse them in terms of genre conventions this time rather than just teaser trailer conventions. This will mean that I will be able to add as many genre conventions as possible to improve my teaser trailer. The teaser trailers I will be looking at are from the films "Carrie", "Paranormal Activity 4" and "The Evil Dead".







Despite these teaser trailers all being different lengths, they are from the same genre and so share conventions. The lighting in all three is low key, there is a prominent absence of bright colours and daylight, which is an indication of the genre. Across all the trailers the music starts off softly but they all have sinister tones to them. The music doesn't build up so much as it would in possibly an action teaser trailer, though there are more sound effects and impact sounds. The teaser trailer for "Carrie" uses a lot of red to indicate blood and danger, typical for a horror film. "The Evil Dead" trailer uses a lot of images from the film and the mise-en-scene (this is also present in the other two teasers) clearly shows us that this is a horror film. "Carrie" and "The Evil Dead" both have seasonal release dates however "Paranormal Activity 4" has none, this all helps build the anticipation, tension and fear which is needed when marketing a Horror movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment