Saturday 16 November 2013

My Chosen Certificate

I have decided to give my film a 15 certificate, partly because the demographic who make up the main body of the audience for horror movies are adolescent males. 

If I made my film an 18 of course I would have much more freedom to go in any direction I wanted and would have fewer limitations on things like language, violence and pure horror. I would, however, then be eliminating a large proportion of the audience and would make my film less successful. 

If I were to give my film a 12A certificate I would be able to have a wider audience but I do not think I would be able to fulfill typical audience expectations of a horror film. In relation to a 12A certificate the BBFC states “There should be no emphasis on injuries or blood, but occasional gory moments may be permitted if justified by the context”, however with a 15 certificate they state “The strongest gory images are unlikely to be acceptable”. Whilst that puts a barrier up on the violence content it still means I would be able to include more violence than a 12A, and sometimes violence is the core of a horror movie. 


If you would like to read more about exactly what is acceptable at 15 - please click on the link below.


No comments:

Post a Comment